Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Week 5: SLMS Interview

          In my school district, we do not have what I consider to be a “true” librarian----certainly at no fault of their own.  Due to budget cuts and lack of staff, the librarian at my school (and other schools within the district) has to not only run the library but also teach five out of seven classes each day.  It is unfortunate for my school’s librarian, Mr. Akers, because I know keeping the library is what his ultimate job is.  It is also unfortunate for me as a teacher because it is difficult to get resources when he is teaching; it is most unfortunate for my students because they cannot utilize the library in a manner that is most effective for their learning.  It is a frustrating situation to say the least.

With all being said, however, I was happy to learn about the ideal role of the librarian.  Although in my district we have a disadvantage when it comes to our library and immediate availability of its media, I do know there are schools in our country who have less than what I have in my district so I am thankful that we do have what we have.  Here is some of the information that I acquired about my library and librarian:

1. How can the library help me be a better teacher? As an English teacher, the most obvious thing my librarian told me is that I have (almost) unlimited resources inside my building: novels, magazines, computers, videos, etc.  As an English teacher, I am required to teach my students how to locate information and the library is the perfect place to begin.  There are dozens of encyclopedias, atlases, source books, medical books, and almanacs that can be utilized to teach research and how to find credible sources.

2. How can the librarian help me teach?  The librarian at my school considers himself to be an assistant to our school, students, and teachers.  His job is to provide each of those with as much help in any way he possibly can.  If our school needs a space to host an event or meeting, Mr. Akers gets the library prepared.  If our students need to spend three days researching for a class, Mr. Akers gets materials ready.  If teachers need specialty material for a particular unit, Mr. Akers will help find that material.  As a teacher, I can rely on Mr. Akers to point me in the direction of particular areas of interest for my students.

3. What resources can I use in my units?  As I said earlier, in my library at school we have an abundance of resources.  It is easy for me, as an English teacher, to incorporate the resources in my library into my lessons: magazines, novels, encyclopedias, videos, source books, etc.---all lend themselves to English.  It is a blessing to have all resources, for a research essay let’s say, right in one area. 

4. What policies and procedures are set for the library?  Is there a manual?  There is not a manual for the library at my school.  Students are to follow the same rules in the library that they follow in their classrooms: be ready, be responsible, and be respectful.  Specifically, students are not allowed to eat or drink unless given permission.  Mr. Akers is a very easy going guy; he doesn’t mind a loud library as long as loud means learning and engaged. 

5. What happens if a parent challenges a book?  Is there a form? Is there a policy to follow?  Although most parents seem to be surprisingly supportive of the books that are offered in the library, there those rare occasions when a parent seems especially upset about a particular text.  I learned that in our library if a parent challenges a book, the first question that they’re asked is something to the effect of: May I ask what movies do you allow your child to view?  Parents quickly realize that there is little difference between the two medias in the sense of the content being questionable or inappropriate.  There are no forms to fill out but if a problem persists, it can be addressed at a Site-Based Decision Making Council. 

1 comment: